Concept: Terra Cures and the New Troubadour

I have never had enough patience to train healers. There is never enough opportunities for healers to gain experience, because my units don't take significant damage often once they've gained around 10 levels, and when I'm at that point with my other units, it means my healers have probably leveled up three or four times. If I can reclass them, I do it. My Maribelle was a mage and Lissa became a pegasus knight, my Sakura temporarily was a dark mage (she was married to Leo), and Elise was abandoned due to her awful skill stat. In harder games, I pick one healer, and they might be lucky enough to be promotable once I've gotten through about 75% of the game.

To remedy this, I wanted there to be healer units that could participate in combat and defend themselves. What came to mind first was the troubadour class, a class which I always hated because they had little to no differences in comparison to clerics outside of being mounted, essentially making clerics an obsolete class. Additionally, in Fates, they had poor skill, HP, and defense, making them sitting ducks that had lower speed than the Monk/Shrine Maiden class, causing their evasion to not be high enough to stay alive if they are put in danger. Due to their similarity to cleric, I decided that troubadour should be reworked in its entirety to not only help me reintroduce the Anima-Light-Dark weapon triangle, but to create a class that works less like a cleric on a horse.

Troubadours are much better when it comes to bulk, with a nice HP and defense growth, and they can utilize light magic to defend themselves. I chose to use light magic in this class because it has low might, assuring that while troubadours can defend themselves, they serve a better role in either being a shield for their teammates or supporting their allies with staves. Light magic also has high accuracy, which allows troubadours to hit more often, even with their relatively low skill.

Terra Cure was a class sort of designed around Harley. I really liked her, but I didn't see her as a basic healer. She had a vibe, something that told me she had the inner courage to defend herself, the kind of person that's personality displays timidity, but when situations become dire, they come to grips quickly and become steely and fearless. So I put her somewhere where her character was comfortable, a class that could easily transition to war cleric and had equal use as support and as a combat unit.

They have skill issues, as they aren't there to fight, but terra cure have passable offense, as well as usable defense and speed. They struggle in HP and resistance, sort of like oni savages in Fates (a class with lots of wasted potential). Of the three healer types, they have the lowest magic, and they have 4 movement points instead of the typical infantry unit's 5, but this is because they do not suffer any sort of movement penalty once they get one of their class' signature skills, Hardy Traveler.

Balancing these two classes to make Clerics their equals was difficult, but I feel that I've done the best I can, and that, depending on the player, the choice in which healer to use, as well as how many healers will be deployed, would fluctuate each playthrough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Country Spotlight: Kestra

Break Days

Weekly Unit Spotlight: Karti