Support: Karti and Gill

C
Gill: Karti.
Karti: Yes, Sir Gill.
Gill: I wanted to reaffirm your willingness to fight.
Karti: By what do you mean?
Gill: I raised you. I can sense hesitation.
Karti: There is no hesitation.
Gill: If you want to talk about it-
Karti: I do not hesitate. I finish my opponents promptly and with precision.
Gill: But-
Karti: I will dismiss myself.
Gill: Hmm.
B
Gill: Karti.
Karti: Yes, Sir Gill.
Gill: I wanted to reaffirm-
Karti: I don't want to talk about this. I told you, there is no hesitation.
Gill: You are lying to me. You never lie to me.
Karti: I am not lying.
Gill: Karti, tell me what is bothering you.
​Karti: It is nothing at all. I will be fine after some more time to myself.
Gill: But when you keep things to yourself, you boil in it. You never get better by sitting in your frustration. What is going on?
Karti: It is nothing. And as your comrade, I'm going to politely request that you cease your persistence.
Gill: And as your superior and your- your friend, I'm going to have to ask you to stop hiding things from me.
Karti: Are you going to order me?
Gill: That isn't what I meant at all.
Karti: Just stop prying.
A
Karti: Sir Gill.
Gill: Karti! Oh, um, I mean, good day, miss Karti.
Karti: I know you have been... concerned over my well-being. I apologize.
Gill: So what is the issue?
Karti: It is not an issue. It is a practice.
Gill: Elaborate, please.
Karti: I refuse to become a heartless murderer. My distance from my targets makes it easy for me to forget we're at war, because I don't see the life of my target leave their eyes, I can't imagine how fearful a novice feels after they kill. So I think before I fire each arrow. I think of the person I am about to dispatch. I think of their family, their friends, their allies and their loyalties. And then I shoot.
Gill: So it wasn't hesitation.
Karti: No. It is merely a flicker of my humanity speaking to me before I toss it aside and become the silver sniper everyone expects to see.
Gill: That is... quite noble.
Karti: It is not nobleness. It is decency, with which I will never part.
Gill: I am glad you are not in distress.
Karti: I am in distress. But I should be. All of us should be. War makes distress a necessity. Without distress, we become mechanical and cold. I won't let that happen. Now, may I be dismissed?
Gill: You may, Karti.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Break Days

Weekly Unit Spotlight: Karti

Weekly Country Spotlight: Kestra