Support: Taren and Annika

C
Annika: I want you to be more careful.
Taren: Oh. Where is this coming from?
Annika: Taren, I want you to be more careful because I don't think you realize how much you mean to me.
Taren: Of course I do, Annika, but you can patch me up if I get too hurt, right?
Annika: If that was always the case, then there would be no death on the battlefield. But there is.
Taren: Why are you so tense?
Annika: Because you don't listen to me!
Taren: Annika, calm down-
Annika: Don't tell me to calm down! You took a hit and you shrugged it off without getting me to help!
Taren: That's what this is about? Annika, if I go to you every time I get a scratch, I'll never get anywhere on the battlefield, I'll be next to you like a forlorn puppy.
Annika: It wasn't a scratch, and what's so wrong with being closer to my side?
Taren: We'll talk about this later. Right now, I need to- be anywhere else doing anything else.
Annika: We'd better talk about this later!
B
Annika: You ready to talk now?
Taren: Now that you're not freaking out, I am perfectly okay with talking to you.
Annika: I'm sorry, it's just, we were the only girls our age in Hawkinson. I grew up with you, and I don't want you to... die.
Taren: I won't. I told you that I won't.
Annika: That doesn't mean anything and you know it.
Taren: So then what do you want from me?
Annika: I want you to take this more seriously! I know you, so I can tell you from experience that you have a problem with comprehending the gravity of a situation.
Taren: What?
Annika: You don't get serious when everything around you does. Almost never is there a time where you understand that something could go wrong and most likely will. You just make dumb promises you might not be able to keep.
Taren: Maybe you are taking things too seriously.
Annika: You can't take war too seriously, Taren.
Taren: I can be serious. I've been serious.
Annika: I know, serious isn't the word I'm looking for. It's more like you're reckless. And that scares me.
Taren: You know what? I don't need you to lecture me.
Annika: That isn't what this is?
Taren: Sure sounds like it.
A
Taren: I'm-
Annika: I'm sorry.
Taren: No, you shouldn't be sorry, cuz' I'm sorry.
Annika: You are?
Taren: I am totally sorry. I don't think enough about the consequences of my actions in combat. It's always the last thing on my mind. The first thing on my mind is keeping everyone I care about safe. That's always first.
Annika: I know. And that's why I had to apologize. I keep saying I know you, and I do, but that's why I should have realized you keep strict priorities. You've always considered me more important than you, but to me- it's just the opposite. So don't get yourself killed. Please.
Taren: I won't. I really won't. I pro-
Annika: Just don't do it.
Taren: Uh...right.
Annika: And one more thing.
Taren: Yes?
Annika: Your braids are messy. Let me fix it, it's been bothering me since this morning.
Taren: Sure, mom.
​Annika: Hardy har har.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Break Days

Weekly Unit Spotlight: Karti

Weekly Country Spotlight: Kestra